Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Robert Frost makes my Fall

Into My Own

One of my wishes is those dark trees,
so old and firm they scarcely known the breeze,
Were not, as 'twere, the merest mask of gloom,
But stretched away unto the edge of doom.

I should not but beheld that someday
into their vastness I should steal away,
Fearless of ever finding open land,
or highway where the slow wheel pours the sand.

I do not see why I should e'er turn back
Or those that should not set forth upon my track
To overtake me, who should miss me here
And long to know if I still held them dear.

They would not know me changed from the him they knew--
Only more sure of all I thought was true.


-Robert Frost

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Robert Frost delights me.
have you read "Unharvested"?

thank you for your comment, kiddo. i really appreciated and needed that tonight. "constructive." i think this is one of those occasional times where i have to let someone else (you) believe what you say about me until i believe it for myself. know those times?
: ) they're challenging, but useful.
um. what are you doing friday night?

Sarah said...

it's from a book by one of my favorite authors, Fredrick Buechner - "Peculiar Treasures." he's the guy that wrote "Wishful Thinking," too, which is partly where my tattoo comes from.

i love you for lots of reasons, and one is how resolute you are about believing the best about people you love. : )

ams said...

Hi Laura, it's Anna. I just posted an update about Tony on his blog, and I'll be updating it from now on, so check it out. Oh and he says I have one of your cds if you'd like to stop by and get that sometime when you're in town. His cell number is now mine, so feel free to call.