Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Rehaul and a Soundtrack

So I've decided to do an overhaul of this blog and turn it into something thematic.
From here on out this will truly be about my "Misadventures." To keep life light-hearted and jovial, I'm going to embark on strange adventures and then write about it.

The first of these is a personal vendetta of mine.
I'm of the opinion that Wes Anderson has exquisite taste in music. The soundtracks to his movies never cease to amaze.
Making the perfect mixes for people I admire is a habit and hobby of mine. Also, synching music with movies, tv shows, and advertisements is a goal.
So, I have spent the past few weeks compiling a mix that I think Wes Anderson would like. The title of this cd is "The Soundtrack to Your Next Movie." Copies will be sent to Wes Anderson, Jason Schwartzman, and Mark Mothersbaugh. Hopefully the addresses are findable.

I would like to start off by saying that all of these songs were obtained legally, and if you don't believe me I have I-tunes receipts.

So, first of all, how does one put together a mix tailored for Wes Anderson? Listen to his old soundtracks.
I have gathered that he is a fan of lo-fi, yet high quality tunes. He is a fan of the eccentric. And he always dabbles with some more classical pieces. Foreign language use is a bonus. Classic rock and roll (Bowie, the Kinks, The Stones, etc.)
This is what I've got:

"Le Temps De L'amour"- April March
I'm proud of this start. It gets your attention. It says 'hey, I might be at the beach, but I mean business,' and then comes in her lo-fi voice all french singing. You may be familiar with her song, "Chick Habit" featured in both "But I'm a Cheerleader" and "Deathproof."
I was looking for something a little more conflicted than that song. Plus, it's overused. "Le Temps de L'amour" sounds like a 60's beach tune, but it's also very confrontational, and her voice is haunting. By starting off with this song, there is an opportunity for conflict.

"Courez Courez" Hermas Zopoula
Asthmatic Kitty's newly signed french-speaking African musician is a gem. Wes Anderson would love him. He sings light-hearted tunes of faith and love, and is the perfect hybrid of Seu George and Mark Mothersbaugh's child-chorus.

"Tram #7 to Heaven" Jens Lekman
Jens Lekman is one of my favorite musicians. He sounds like what the sun cutting through the leaves of early summer looks like. The only director who captures that kind of light is Wes Anderson. I don't know why he hasn't used one of Jen's tunes before.
I chose this song because it's lo-fi as well as heartbreaking and thought-provoking. Some character could have a tough situation haunting him, and then this song can cue, and everyone in the audience can sympathize.

"Get off of my Cloud" The Rolling Stones

"Que sont devenue les Fleurs" Dalida
Behold! the french Nico! Her low alto is haunting and gorgeous and fleeting. And it brings back in that beachy french feel from "Les Temps de L'Amour". Voila! a theme. Not only am I giving him a mix, I'm giving him a setting for his film! What a lucky dude.

"Lakme, flower duet"
Every Wes Anderson flick has some classical piece. Opera isn't used enough, and this song is beautiful. That's all.

"Paris, Je t'aime"
The best fusion of accordian, jazz guitar, jazz drums, and glockenspiel to ever grace the ears. Carries the french theme, and is super goofy. This song is to the new movie as "Let me tell you about my boat" is to Life Aquatic.

"Christiansen" France Gall
Le Francais continue!

"Moonlight Mile" The Rolling Stones

"Love is Blue" Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra
I bet Paul Mauriat and Mark Mothersbaugh are friends. Or at least it sounds like it. A lot like it. Maybe when Mr. Mothersbaugh receives this mix, it will spark his interest, he will find Mr. Mauriat and then they can become pals.

"Aria" Balanesque Quartet
Our plot! I almost forgot. We need another classical piece that is more haunting and conflicted to cue at the climax of the film, whatever it may be! Well here it is. The balance of violins carrying different complimentary and contradictory melodies toys with your heart strings. Stunning.

"I'm Free" The Rolling Stones
This song says, "this plot is coming to a close, but isn't done yet."

"Daylight" The Kinks
and roll slow motion shot and cue the credits.

So that's the soundtrack. To be continued.
Next update: preparation to send the soundtrack, letters to the recipients, and the send-off.

1 comments:

Fred Johnson said...

This makes me grin.

Sort of like this--> :)

Only with my face, instead of with punctuation.