Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Singer Solution to World Poverty

My freshman year I was hanging out with my transition friends (the kids that you find the first week of school who you know aren't really well suited to you, but you hang out with them just the same because they're all you have for the time being.)
And this hippie girl was with us, and she got sbarro all over her face. Being the polite young woman that I was, I offered her a napkin.
Being the impolite young woman that she was, she made a face that I can hardly begin to describe, but it was somewhere inbetween disgusted, annoyed, and revolted.
"I don't believe in napkins." The sentence exited her mouth, rushed and urgent. I was astonished.
I wanted to say "Well I don't believe that pizza sauce was intended to be on your face, and I am holding in my hand the solution to this problem. Secondly, how is it that you can believe in a corporate pizza chain and not napkins? Thirdly, how can you not believe in napkins? What does that mean? I believe it exists...I'm holding it in my hand, it's here I can feel it."

What does this have to do with "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"? Absolutely nothing, it's true. But for some reason, reading it brought the story to mind, so here we are.

OK, I just reread it twice. (Which took alot of will power) and I really don't know what to say about this essay, besides the point that it could have ended alot earlier than it did.
It's like seeing the movie "Monster." phenomenal movie, really drove it's point home, I could barely make it through it, and I would rather never see it again. Although I encourage everyone to see it just once.
The thing is, we all get his point. It's one of those rude awakenings that everyone needs once in a while, but that doesn't make it enjoyable in the least.
I would like to see Peter Singers' home and see how comfortable it is. What kind of car he drives, how large his wardrobe is. Does he have a TV? How many channels does he get? Is his couch uncomfortable to sit on, if he even has one? Does he eat on tupperware or does he have fine china. Is his coffee chock o' nuts or Starbucks?

1 comments:

klnichols said...

Even if Singer was a hypocrite, it doesn't change the validity of his arguments. I assume you agree, so I wonder, why even bring it up?