Friday, September 22, 2006

Bourbon St. is cool too.

To be honest the first story of the kids tap dancing really kind of freaked me out. It was very haunting. I've never been to New Orleans, but it's hard to believe sometimes that children need to dance on the street to make a living. Although I admire tap dancers, I know how difficult it can be.
I love Uncle Pat though.
The amazing thing about this writing style is how much it makes you feel at home. Rick Bragg really makes you feel like you are getting the inside scoop on this incredibly unique culture. The fact that in the second installment he refines his focus to a specific person and his role in the community really showcases Bragg's talent at that kind of literary intimacy.
"Uncle Pat, who lives on Matherne Street and ran a propeller shop for 30 years, knows almost everyone. He has only been the chief for for years, but he has been an observer of his community all his life. When there is a small breakdown in its character he knows which tiny shack or mobile home to call on."
WOW.
In those two sentences, buy establishing such detail as Uncle Pat's street, he makes you feel like this story is being told while rocking back and forth on a front porch with a cork pipe and a banjo. It doesn't hide the fact that the characters in this story are in poverty, but it showcases their strength and comradery.
We'll count this as half of my blog on this, I'll expand on this after my french test.
wish me luck.

0 comments: