Monday, September 18, 2006

Mirrorings-Chuck Palahniuk's inspiration for Invisible Monsters?

Am I right? That can't be just a coincedence, can it? Has Chuck been harboring a secret fandom for Miss Lucy Grealy? hmm? I'm suspect.
I read this early this morning, because I like waking up early to read and review, and I felt inspired by it. Although it had its agitating moments, which I will get to later, but for right now, let's highlight some things.
"I knew that to feel warm instead of cold was its own kind of joy, that to eat was a reenactment of the grace of some god whom I could only dimly define, and that to simply be alive was a rare ephemeral gift." (I took joy out of the fact that I read this over a cup of tea.)
But really, thats a good way to look at things. I was feeling sour on my way to class because I was suffering from that ever taxing wet-bottom of pant syndrome that the rain brings. But then I thought about Lucy Grealy, and then I started to think about what a strange little miracle that the water cycle works the way it does, and that some genius named Levi, over two hundred years ago figured out how to make denim so that he could pan for gold, and so that centuries from then, my jeans could get wet.
Genius.
I also liked the line "before I was literally, physically able to use my name and the word "woman" in the same sentence." That line has punch. zing boom Lucy, zing boom. I feel that way sometimes. I think every lady does.
Also, "Gradually, Ibecame unable to say "I'm depressed' but could say only, "I'm ugly," because the two, had become inextricably linked in my mind. "
That's clutch. I mean, really. Very introspective and insightful. Like a Joni Mitchell line if Joni decided to elaborate.
But then she gets artsy again with "it had suddenly occurred to me that I didn't have to make time pass, that it would do it of its own accord, that i simply had to relax and take no action."
and "As for Kafka, who had always been one of my favorite writers, he helped me in that I felt permission to feel alienated and tohave that alienation be ok, bearable, noble even." Wilde and R.M. Rilke did that for me, completely. Letters to a young poet? Czech it.
All in all this essay made me very glad of my purchase of "Autobiography of a Face" because I have every intention of reading it now. Although every once in a while Grealy reminded me of neo-goth-nighmare-before-christmas-garbed-black-shirts-with-whitty-white-writing-blue-monday loving kids. But there is an essential difference between her and them.
1. She didn't come agitate me when I was working at E.B. Games
2. She actually has a reasonable excuse to have that attitude, and normally, they don't.

0 comments: