Thursday, September 14, 2006

An Entrance to the Woods, an exit from every day life.

I identified with this essay. I thought it had portions that were beautiful.
And can I just say that I know the exact strip of woods that he was talking about? We had to drive through Lexington to visit family friends in Nashville from Charlotte when I was little. So the second that he brought up I-64, I knew the highway. And when he brought up Daniel Boone National Forest...

That's the forest he was talking about. I'm pretty sure that I've been on feild-trips there. It's gorgeous.
I wonder if this is the part that he's talking about
"From the dry oak woods of the ridge I pass down into the rock. The foot trails of the Red River Gorge all seek these stony notches that little streams have cut back through the cliffs. I pass a ledge overhanding a sheer drop of the rock, where in a wetter time there would be a water fall..."
I like that part, it paints a picture.
Parts of this essay were very thoreau-ish. I guess there's just a universal theme for "I went into the woods..." stories. It's about finding yourself, it's about getting back to the basics of humanity and exisitance. Minimalism.
I think everyone has their escape routes. My roommate goes on runs, I go on drives or watch the airplanes take off at airports.

0 comments: