Thursday, November 02, 2006

Dave Sedaris

he's gotten alot better, as was said in class, this book is good because it's focused, not random.
(Dave Eggers always has my heart though.)
Hearing Sedaris in class did change the way i read the book though. His voice was alot less lethargic and nasel- based in my head. So that definitely put a damper on the reading occasion for me.

Discovering the deeper meaning of Hijara to me today was like a goldmine. I love unearthing deeper meanings behind things like that, it means alot to me. I really want to assume that Sedaris took it to the deepest level on that, that he was fully aware of the fact that Hijara was Mohammed's fleeing of his homeland after being enlightened in Mecca, leaving behind everything that he had known with just his first wife and some followers and family, just so that they wouldn't be persecuted.
That's one of the most sacred Islamic stories. It's the reason that they have to visit Mecca in their life time.

He had to have known in order to sight that, correct.

Plus, you know a story has deeper meaning when a Joni Mitchell song is involved.

I guess the thing that I enjoy most about Sedaris's writing is that he makes us connect the dots. you know?
more on this later.

0 comments: