Monday, November 06, 2006

witnessing.

I just witnessed a pivotal moment in a girl's life.
She was downstairs in the Atrium making small talk with a girl behind the counter in the Barnes and Noble cafe, asking about the school. This is where she's coming.
I remember my freshmen orientation and thinking that college felt alot like summer camp at that point, and hating it. My mom and I lied to come home early.
When I sat down in my first class I felt like I ruled the school, and moved because I was suspect that the upper classmen in front of me would undoubtedly copy off of me. I felt like a different breed.
I never thought I would actually be living the life that I had daydreamed of since highschool. That I would be making something of my music, skipping classes with professor's permission so that I could go to play shows in Bloomington.
That I would cut out some of the most devastating characters in my life, who lived under the guises of my closest and dearest friends. Through that learning the value of real friendship, and meeting the people who would reinforce my true character, the people who I wake up thinking of, and looking forward to. (Sarah, Stevi, Puckett, Justin, Newg, Sarah v. 2.0, Ali, Ashley, etc. etc. etc.)
Content isn't one of those words that was ever really synonymous with my life.
But sitting down and writing, or talking, or walking, or any verb that I can think of, I find that I am really proud of myself. I know that there's so much more beauty to come, but I like where I'm at right now.
So much to look forward to.

Ok, now someone go light a candle and sing some folk songs about rainbows and harmony.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

i will provide the folksong.

but i have burned all my candles down to puddles. can't you spare one of yours for this little peace-harmony-fawns-frolicking gala?


i like you.