Saturday, November 25, 2006

My Porsche

So, if you haven't gotten wind yet, Debbie (Downer) my car, got a slight face lift this weekend. I decided when I was pulling out of the Meijer gas station, on my way home, that the dent on the driver's side back door would be really well accented on the other side by a blue racing stripe donated by the Blue Honda Civic of the man in front of me.
I'm kidding, there's no way in hell I would do that on purpose.
My mom said she's figured out my scheme, I just don't want doors on my car. I told her it would make for better ventilation.
Debbie is a downer because she got sideswiped the first week I brought her up to Muncie, and something's been weird with her ever since. She's a Chevy Cavalier I got the day before I came up to school last year.
So now, since she has a dent on both sides, I figured, I would treat her nicely and make her feel beautiful, since I roughed her up so much. I got her tires rotated, and gave her an oil change, and then yesterday I detailed her interior and got her a new Mistletoe scented air freshner.
See something you need to know is that Debbie smells like a hippie. I don't know who owned her before, because she was a repo from my Dad's bank, but whoever it was liked to smoke weed. My car smells like insence no matter what I do. Everyone comments on this, everyone. I've tried everything, cleaning her, different scented air freshners, leaving the windows slightly down. She still smells like hippie.
I'd never tried a more manly scent, other than Citrus and Sage last year, and that only made it worse. (I don't know why I thought it would help.) But Mistletoe, that could help.
So when I sat down in my car yesterday after the air freshner had been in there for a while, I was relieved to smell it at first. I thought I had finally conquered the hippie in her. And then I breathed in again, and realized that I had accomplished making Debbie smell like Santa had driven her home from Woodstock.
humph.

However, I was reminded of a funny moment from when I was sixteen yesterday.
I had let Sarah, my sister, borrow the Civic for a while when she was up at college, so that she would have a way to get home other than her motorcycle during the winter. I didn't know when she was coming home for Christmas break.
So my Mom and I were driving home one day, while Sarah had the Civic. We pulled onto my road and I saw a Porsche convertible parked nicely in front of my house.
"What's that?" Thinking immediately about when we would have gotten this new car.
My mom however, looked up in the driveway and noticed my Civic was back, she did not notice the Porsche.
"That's your car."
My jaw dropped. Finally, my parents had aknowledged how charitable I had been with the Civic, and rewarded me by getting me this Porsche. I could see it now, driving on the highway with a fruity scarf around my head. With a Porsche of course, I could go anywhere I wanted to, whenever I wanted to. People would see me arrive unexpectedly and just say,
"Oh look, she has a Porsche. Honey, put some lamb in the oven, we have company. And get out our best bottle of wine."
"Really?!" Just double checking. Mom had no idea why I was so excited.
"Yeah, I guess Sarah came home a day early." That's when I looked up and saw the Civic. This is where my dream ended.
"Oh. So...the Porsche isn't ours."
I've never seen my Mom laugh that hard at my expense. I've never been so heart broken over a material object. I knew my fantasy was stupid, but for a moment in time, that Porsche was mine. And it was a beautiful moment.
"You really think if we bought a Porsche, I would give it to YOU?"
Funny Mom funny. She went in the house. I lingered outside for a moment and said goodbye to the random Porsche sitting in front of our house. I found out later it was our neighbor's, but they were having their driveway re-paved and needed somewhere to park it.

2 comments:

Mark Norman said...

that story is hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time...

reallyrelyay said...

I seem to have alot of experiences on those terms. It's humbling.
thanks for stumbling across me!